Training Target for this block of training 3/18-4/14:
-Hurdle Drills are a priority for people running track. We will continue 2-3 sets of these this block, please add an additional set this block to what you were consistently doing last block. After 4/15 we will cut these back to a single set to maintain the strength gained.
-Starting 4/15, MD people will add an additional workout most weeks on Monday with volume decreasing slightly in importance.
-Volume continues to be a priority for LD and roadies until the end of May.
Intensity of Training: On a scale of 1-4 with 4 being hardest, we want to continue our workouts in the 2-3 range, solid, but not over the top.
4/8: Sactown 10 Miler
3/24: Poly Invite, SLO
3/30: Stanford Invite, SF State Distance Carnival
4/13 (Fri): Santa Barbara Easter Relays: 10 mi-25k AR Pacing or Elite Miles
For the MD people, this is the last month to get your real long runs in, starting the next block we start cutting back on the length some and will continue to do so to compensate for the increased in intensity. For the LD people, we will start cutting back in Mid April.
Suggested Mid Week Long Run and Weekend Long Run Lengths:
MD: Mid week longer run: 60-75 min. Weekend Easier Long Run: 75-90 min
LD: Mid week longer run: 75-90 min. Weekend Easier Long Run: 90-120 min
* Monday for those with a track focus this spring: approx 30-45 minute easy run followed by the early week workout + optional hurdle drills.
* Monday For those LD types, instead do a 50-75 min AE run followed by strides. AE runs are runs where you start at a very easy recovery pace and run with the primary goal of covering the distance. As your fitness improves the pace at the end of these runs can become fairly brisk. If this happens to you, feel blessed and go with the flow. This isn’t the type of run where you force the pace at all, rather you run on the easy side of life and as you warm-up you naturally pick up the pace. Follow this up 6-8 x 80-100m relaxed strides or 800-1600m of Stride the Straights at Relaxed Pace/Jog the Turns (SS/JT).
* Tuesday or Thursday: Mid Week Longer Steady State run. Ideally 12-15% of your weekly mileage. Start at an easy to moderate effort and finish up the last 30-50 min at a steady state type effort if it’s coming easy, please don’t force the issue though. Alternate with a 45-75 min AE Run on Tuesday or Thursday. You can add strides following this run if it suits you better.
* Wednesday Mid Week Workout + optional double day
* Friday: Easy recovery days: A 20-40 minute Kenyan jog or a DNR or active recovery such as swimming that sort of thing. The other option would be 2 x 30-40 minutes easy (one in the AM and one in the PM), just easy. Make sure that a recovery day is at a butt slow jogging pace. Alternate this with a AE Run + Strides on Monday or Friday.
* Saturday Weekend Workout + optional double day
* Sun: Long Run: Should be 90-120 minutes as a single run based on experience on the easier end of the spectrum, try to make it roughly 20-25% of your weekly mileage.
* Double days: 20-40 minutes easy. Advisable on harder workouts or tempo days, then the other days as you see fit. Please keep the Sunday Long Run as a single.
-2-4 mile warmup for MD, 3-4 miles for LD
-Drills next. Focus on driving the arms/elbows back to help generate speed. High knees, run tall, heel near your kind tush, focus on generating POWER - be me or Usain, your choice:
10 x lateral leg swings
10 x front to back leg swings
High Knees 2 x 20m,
A Skips 20m, 20m stride out x 2
B Skips 20m, 20m stride out x 2
Straight leg bounds 20m, 20m stride out x 2
Butt Kicks 20m, 20m stride out x 2
Caraocas 40m x 2
C skips 20m x 2
-6-8 diagonal acceleration after drills (3k race effort> 1500 race effort>800 race effort) on grass infield with walk across recoveries. Yeah those drills you just did, replicate the movement in these - drive the elbows back, run tall, heel by your bootie, POP off the grass!
-Primary Workout for the day after diagonals
-1mi Kenyan jog barefoot on grass
-Hurdle Drills - add one set this block
-Optional Strength Work - add 1 set
-2-4 mile warm down
Practice Times and Locations:
Wednesdays at the Cal Poly Track. Be warmed up and ready for the first interval by 6:15 PM.
Saturdays, meet at Cuesta Fairbanks XC course. Warmup leaves at 8:00 AM. Meet at the Cuesta track for warmup drills by 8:30 AM, first interval goes at 9:00 AM.
-Early Week track people: 30-45 min run, 5 min. 3 x 3 x 100 (Easy, Moderate, Fast) w/ 15-20 sec btw each, 300 jog btw sets + hurdle drills.
-Mid Week: 2 x 200 at 1500 w/ 200 jog. 5 min. 4-8 x (400 at 3k, 200 jog, 400 at 1500). 400 jog btw sets, 1 mi easy + hurdle drills.
-Poly Invite 800-1500 + 4 x 400 or 3-4 mi tempo following
For those not racing: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 3-5 mi tempo, 800 jog, 3-6 x 1k at 10k w/ 400 jog. Gordon is running a 5k time trial at 14:30-40 pace, 9:30 AM at Cuesta. The idea would be to help him with this by running your 1k reps with him after your tempo run.
-Early Week track people: 30-45 min run, 5 min. 4 x 150 accelerations: (50m Easy, 50m Moderate, 50m Fast) w/ 250 jog + hurdle drills.
Mid week: 1500-5k: 2-3 x 150 accelerations, 5 min, 2-4 x (2 x 200 at 800) w/ 100 jog btw ea, 800 jog btw sets + 2-3 x 150 at relaxed 1500 effort w/ 250 jog
Mid Week 5k-42k: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 3-5 x (4 x 400 - #1-3 at 10k, #4 at 5k w/ 200 jog btw each, 400 btw sets) 800 jog + 1 x 800 at 3k, 1 mi easy + hurdle drills.
-Weekend: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 1-2 x 800 at 5k, 3-6 mile tempo, 1-2 x 800 at 5k. 400 jog btw each. 1mi barefoot Kenyan jog on grass + hurdle drills.
-SF State or Stanford Invite
-Early Week track people: 30-45 min easy, 4 x 200 at 800/1500 w/ 200 jog + hurdle drills.
-Mid Week: 1500-5k: 2 x 200 at 1500 w/ 200 jog. 5 min. 3-6 x (2 x 300 at 1500 pace w/ 100 m jog btw each), 500m jog btw sets, 1 mi easy + hurdle drills.
Mid Week 5k-42k: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 4-5 x (1k at 10k, 200 jog, 1k at 5k), 800 btw sets
-Weekend 1500-5k: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 1-3 x 1600 at 10k, 400 jog, 1-3 x 1k at 5k, 400 jog, 1-3 x 800 at 3k, 400 jog, 1-2 x 400 at 1500, 400 jog, 1-2 x 200 at 800 w/ 400 jog. 1mi barefoot Kenyan jog on grass + hurdle drills.
-Weekend 5k-42k: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 2-4 mi Tempo, 800 jog, 1-2 x 1 mi (10K), 400 jog, 1-2 x 800 at 5k, 400 jog, 2-4 x 400 at 3k (Steeple 2-4 x 400 with 4 hurdles at 5k) w/ 200 jog. 1mi barefoot Kenyan jog on grass + hurdle drills.
-Sactown 10 Miler
4/8-4/14 Easy Week. Cut mileage by 15-20% on all runs. We raise the intensity slightly the next block of training, would like you fresher and more focused than you entered this week.
-Early Week: 1500-5k: 2 x 200 at 1500 w/ 200 jog. 5 min. 600 at 5k, 400 at 3k, 300 at 1500, 200 at 800, 100 fast all with 100 jog, 1 mi easy + hurdle drills.
5k-42k: 2 x 200 at 1500 w/ 200 jog. 5 min. 8-12 x in/out 400’s, 1 mi easy + hurdle drills.
-SB Easter Relays Elite Mile or 10 mi-30k pacing on Friday
-Weekend for those not racing or pacing: 4 x cutdown 200’s start at 3k, make each successive 1 sec faster. 5 min. 2-4 mi T, 5 min, 1-2 mi at 10k, 3 min, 4 x 400 at 5k w/ 200 J. 1mi barefoot Kenyan jog on grass + hurdle drills.
Training Block I: 1/21-2/17: Multi-paced Strength Focus
Training Block II: 2/18-3/17
Training Block III: 3/18-4/14
Training Block IV: 4/15-5/12: Event Specific Focus
Training Block V: 5/13-6/9
Training Block VI: 6/10-6/30